Latest Trinity Update - 24th April
24 April 2020 13:15
Anna and I have been in compulsory isolation for nearly 3 weeks now. Anna has been unwell with COVID19 and was re-tested as positive earlier this week. She is recovering slowly but surely and has another test at the weekend. Thank you for your prayers and support.
At times in this isolation I have felt very lost.
Not in terms of space, as I know where I am!
But more in terms of purpose and time and worth.
And when I have felt lost I have found it helpful to stop.
Cut out the noise.
Light a candle.
And to be still 'before the Lord' and listen and contemplate Him.
And I contemplate words that help me to re-centre myself on Him.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner - grace and mercy.
My son, you are always with me and everything I have is yours - blessing.
You are my child, whom I love, with you I am well pleased - identity and value.
Some people call this Centering Prayer.
And I have discovered that when I pray like this, that I am found.
Found by the One who gently picks me up and brings me home rejoicing.
If you feel lost, may you be found by Him this coming week.
Please find below some things taking place at Trinity at this unusual time:
- A Rocha Eco-Church Award - we are delighted to announce that we have been awarded a Bronze award which indicates that as a church community we are intentionally taking steps to care for the environment! We will now start to work on the Silver award 👌 click here for more details on A Rocha and how you can be involved.
- Trinity Seniors Update - there are currently 57 people signed up as Trinity Seniors and they all receive regular telephone calls. During the calls we check-in to see how people are and ask if there is any help or support required, where this is the case and we are able, we arrange this or sign-post to other agencies who may be able to help. For those that wish, we pray for them over the phone. There is a wonderful team of volunteers from Trinity who have offered help with shopping, errands, obtaining prescriptions and making meals that are then frozen and distributed as required. We also work closely with the Guernsey Welfare Service who have provided food parcels where needed. We match volunteers with those requiring help with shopping, prescriptions and errands and deliver meals and send out cards.
We also collate a weekly newspaper called ‘The Trinity Times’ which contains the weekly church information, hymns, talk and prayers together with articles to inspire and encourage as well as a quiz. The purpose of this was to ensure that people without access to the internet could still feel part of the community and all that is going on. This is currently distributed to 42 people and has been very well received with several people expressing how much they look forward to its arrival each week. The feedback we have received is that the regular phone calls are so welcome as is the support that they know is available if needed. This, together with the newspaper and telephone calls from friends, activity leaders and family are all having a real impact at helping to reduce isolation and loneliness during this very difficult time. Helen Sheppard and the Seniors Team
- Guernsey Caring for Ex-Offenders Update - Although we are not able to be based at Trinity Church, nevertheless our work supporting ex-offenders continues uninterrupted. The way we do it has had to be adapted with much of our work being done by phone, through social media or in some cases by ‘snail mail’. Unfortunately, external agencies and volunteers aren’t allowed access to the prison at this time, therefore the prison chaplain, Penny Graysmith, and other prison staff have been extremely helpful in passing essential messages backwards and forwards between GCFEO and prisoners. There are still times where it is essential that we meet with individuals whilst keeping ourselves safe (gloves, disinfectant, social distancing etc) such as for prison releases, support with shopping, prescriptions etc for those who need to self-isolate, and the occasional emergencies. At the present time we are supporting 39 ex-offenders. It has all been very different and challenging but we have adapted well. Mary Herve GCFEO Co-ordinator
- Faith and Life Courses - we are planning to start two courses next week to encourage us in our faith:
- The Bible Course with Bryan and Tricia Pill - an 8 week course exploring the world's bestseller. This course will start on Monday 27th April at 10am until 11.30am. Please email them more details.
- Parenting for Faith with David Girard and Emma Backhouse - this course will start on Monday 27th April at 7.30pm and is an 8 week course where you will discover that you are perfectly positioned to show your children the reality of a life with God and to empower them to have their own vibrant two-way relationship with him. Please email David or Emma for more details.
- Trinity Coffee Morning on Tuesday 28th April at 11am - an opportunity to chat with friends, old and new, over Zoom. Please contact Cynthia for more details.
- Evening Prayer - there will be a short time of evening prayer using Zoom on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings at 9pm for the month of May starting on Sunday the 3rd. If you would be interested in joining us at any point (one time or every time!) please contact Eileen to register interest and for the Zoom meeting ID.
- Monday Prayer - at 5.30pm every Monday Derek and Jane Brown will be leading an hour of prayer on Zoom. Please contact Derek for more details.
- The Trinity Tavern Quiz - Jon will be hosting a quiz tonight (24th) at 7.30pm on Zoom. The Zoom meeting ID is 781 745 0384 or click this link to join. Details of the quiz below:
- We hope to have about 10 rounds of 10 questions
- Enter as a household or as a virtual team (so one household connects with the Zoom meeting and they then connect at the same time with their team using a WhatsApp video call (up to 4 people) or Facetime (up to 32 people!)
- You will need a paper and pen to record your answers and you mark your own and keep your scores - don't cheat using google!
- Everyone will be muted for most of the time except at the beginning and end. We might even try out Breakout Rooms!
- This is an experiment and may well be chaos - if you are very serious about quizzes and fair play this may not be for you!
Have a good weekend!
With love and prayers
Jon and the Trinity Team